Thursday 3 September 2020

Sewing!!

Hahaha, just kidding.   I am tired of talking about my sewing adventures and I imagine that my sewing adventures are just as tiresome for anyone reading this. So on to knitting!  

Because yes, in the background, every day, there is at least some knitting. 

I did the last bit of work on my shetland shawl that I could do till the other skein of yarn of this colour, Eesit, arrives.  It will arrive this afternoon with the mail so whatever else I do, I am reserving this evening for working on that shawl.  With this yarn restock, I think it will go pretty fast.  This is lovely and  intuitive to knit.  Plus with a rest row, like all good Shetland lace, you get a break from the intensity of pattern rows.

I know that there is no hope of having the same lot as that first skein.  It was two years ago that I went on my epic adventure and though I hope the shade is close, even natural sheep tones can be darker or lighter at different times of their lives and with different weather. It will be what it will be.  

In the background there has been a little sock knitting.  Yoga socks actually, with no toes and no heel.  I am doing a pair to test something. I had a wee minor medical issue after wearing socks to bed and socks and slippers last winter.  It appears that my cold cold feet are now suddenly sweaty.  

Yes.  I am no longer as cold as I was.  I have spent most of the summer not wearing socks for the first time in many years and I have worn sweaters only on occasion, like a normal person.  I did not have to use my big wool comforter or my wool blanket at all.  All summer I have been sleeping with a sheet and a light cotton filled quilt.  Like a normal person.  I think that means that my thyroid medication is where it needs to be.  All this normalcy hasn't quite worked for my toes.  My toes are still cold when I go to bed, so I started wondering about just warming the pulse points in my ankles and feet and would that help to warm my toes?  It seems to makes a great deal of difference for my hands. So yoga socks with a wide cuff band at the ankle and a little down the foot, but open toes.  I will let you know if it works.

There has been other sock knitting too, but a little here and a little there resulting in no solid change on any single pair of socks.

Knitting is happening on Drachenfels.  You can just start to get a feel for this shawl, with its different patternings.  That black and grey will go on for a while yet but I am looking forward to working with the red and black.    



Today, while I wait for yarn, I have some fabric to wash and some bread to bake and a pair of leggings to sew and a pattern or two to print out.  Plenty to do to keep me busy till the mail comes.  

But I can't wait! New yarn!  Even when it was a had to purchase, it makes me want to jump and celebrate!

No comments: