Tuesday 1 September 2020

Leggings That Are Pants

I am sitting here this afternoon in a pair of leggings that are completely finished and that fit me perfectly.

And I have to tell you that I feel like sitting down and having a good cry.  

I remember doing that after completing my first few sweaters.  It was just so overwhelming to reach that place where I could do that and have something I could proudly wear out into the world.  This is exactly the same.  

I made one pair of pants for myself before this legging adventure, and that was decades ago and they did not turn out well.  I had no idea how to adjust things so I trusted the pattern and even in those much much slimmer days, no pattern company has ever had patterns designed for a waist to hip that was over 10 inches different.  None.  Brian said not to wear them out because they looked weird.  And they did.  Even hanging they were just odd and I never ever tried again.  Knitting made me braver and let me take this giant step.   

I would wear this pair of leggings out proudly and I would even tell people I sewed them.  So I sat down and put on a top that I knit and I feel good.  I am going to pour myself a glass of wine.  

The plan for the day was not supposed to go this way, but I just got the notice that the rest of the yarn is here for the shawl, so I can go forward on that full steam ahead.  I will cut another pair out later this afternoon, a repeat on this same fabric while it is out on the table, so that tomorrow I can sew another pair.  If I get really motivated, there will be more cutting out so I do  two pairs at once.  And maybe three for good meausure.  Nah.  Two is lots for one day.  

For now I have some fabric to wash so that I can do some shirt sewing shortly.  Just like knitting, there is always something that is next up.

If I sound gibbled and excited, I am.  Oh I am.  And yes, I am crying.

No comments: