Wednesday 15 January 2020

Big Blankets

Today's  scarf is one of my favourites.



Topsy Turvy Moebius  , a free pattern from the Rainey Sisters, it is a true moebius.  I knit it in a single skein of Mini Maiden from Handmaiden in a really gorgeous green.  This lovely little thing is displayed much better here.


It's completely scrunched up these days.  Mini Maiden is just a little short in yardage from the recommended yarn so I cast on fewer stitches.  The scarf is just long enough to get round my neck twice, which is actually perfect for a soft warm yarn like this.  

Back to the work of today.  I had such a good day yesterday and I am so excited to tell you about it.  I worked on the blanket all day. 

My goal for the day was to get to the end of the first giant ball of cream yarn.  I did that before lunch and I just kept knitting.  I made it so that I can see the end of the ball of charcoal.


I have been wondering all along if this blanket was going to be large enough with just one ball of charcoal yarn.  Using this very basic yarn meant that dye lots aren't an issue so I wasn't concerned about purchasing a second ball later. It currently measures  45 inches plus the 8 inch cream and red trim would take it to 53 inches.  I will need to get 7 inches from this ball of black to make it to the 60 inches I was hoping for.  

I don't think that will happen, so I will have to see if I think it is big enough when I get there. My version of the pattern is wider than the original by 20 stitches so I have known this was going to be an issue.  It would be nice to be finished, to call it good with just the one ball.  It would be nice to chalk up one major project done but I think I'm going to knit it to the best size. If it is too short, it won't be used as it should be.  It will just get set aside for other larger blankets.  

I won't get the other yarn today.  It's just too cold out to go.  Which is a bit of a bugger because I really would like this one done.

No comments: