Tuesday 26 November 2019

Felting Adventures

Yesterday it was time to say goodbye to another old sweater.  

This time, the sweater biting the dust was a Shalom vest knit back in 2013.  It was worn a lot over the years but it had some issues.  In adventures in renovating before I sold my house, it caught on a nail or something mid back.  I always planned to repair it but once I settled in this house, I realized that the round low yoke wasn't  keeping me warm enough.  It sat and a few weeks ago, I decided  I could let it go.  

As much as letting go, I needed a few other things.  I needed pot holders.  Mine, sewn years ago, back on the farm, are pretty much gone.  I have been using my cotton dishcloths for taking things out of the oven, and a single layer of cotton is not enough.  At all.  

I also need pads for setting hot pots and dishes on  counters.  I used to have a bunch of cork pads for this but the standard cork hot pad is pretty useful for other things.  Like under a coffee pot that stays very hot below.  And as nerf gun target.  They also have broken over the years.  From my stock of 5 or 6, I can only find two to use.  

I also needed coffee coasters.  I have a sweet set of cut glass coasters that I use, but not all my coffee cups fit in them.  I made a set of felted coasters when I lived at the wee house, and was using them routinely.  I actually like them better than my glass coasters.  I had four and really need a few more.

I threw the vest into the wash yesterday morning and did a good long hot cycle.



I was a little concerned that the garter ridges of the yoke of the vest would not felt smoothly and that the ribbing wouldn't be useable. But no worries! 

I love when I felt a garment.  It brings a whole other character out of the wool.  It becomes so clear how the boiled wool jacket became a thing in some parts of the world. I have got to investigate how they make a true "boiled" wool fabric in the traditional way.

Meanwhile back at my felting.  It worked beautifully.  



I managed to recover enough of the colourful yoke to make ten, roughly square coasters.  Not perfectly square might bother some people, but not me. My others are mostly rectangle shaped and no one ever commented on their mildly wonky nature.  These imperfect squares are just fine.


Plus I have five hot pads / pot holders of various sizes.  Some are big enough for under my largest casserole,  and some are just right for my smallest pot.  All will be great for using as pot holders and I for one, am looking forward to not burning my hands in the spot between knitted or crocheted stitches.  


No comments: