Tuesday 17 September 2019

Weaving

I dug my way into the spare room, aka the loom room, and did  bit of work on my problematic battens and reeds.

I read everything that I could find online and yes everything was indeed being put together right, though there are some swinging beaters out there with a wingnut to hold the battens together. Mine is a simpler nut.  This is a good thing because I do not have enough hands to hold everything together and tighten up the nut and a wingnut besides. 

It took a while to get it together again.  Putting it all in place with a warp through the reed is awkward to say the least.  But this time, I made certain to tighten up the nuts holding the reed in place till the nut wouldn't turn any farther.  

And then I sat down to weave, just to see if I could. I took photos of the nuts before I started and about halfway through just to see if they are still loosening off like they were before.  That seems to be the trouble everyone has with this beater, that the nut loosens after very little work.  I wanted to see if the ultra tightening would make a difference.

 Before


After
  
No significant difference after weaving about half of the second dishcloth.  So I kept going till I ran out of filled bobbins for my shuttle.  I checked the nuts again after I was done and still no movement.


It was a pretty good days effort all in all.

The only problem I have right now, is that I cannot seem to loosen the little suckers at all.  They are good and tight.  I have no doubt that more weaving will change this.  At least I hope so, or it is going to be a problem if I want to weave up some Zephyr  and need to change the reed.  

No comments: