Monday 19 August 2019

Ta Daaaaaaaa

Ta Daaaaa


It isn't striking looking at all.  It's really rather plain and simple but let me tell you, it is the most wonderful thing to have on your head and neck.  It is going to be just right for wearing in the car on chilly winter mornings.  It is long enough to have a puddle of cowl at your neck when you have it pulled up on your head, but not so long that when you have it all down around your neck, it is too much fabric for comfort.

It is just the perfect thing.

There is some yarn left.



Not enough to do anything serious with, but it may work for colourwork on mittens or sock tops.  Even though the yarns were very close in length, I wasn't at all surprised that I ran out of the Silk Cloud first.  The mohair silk blend doesn't have the same slight stretch that Adam and Eve has and its grabbiness meant that I was always consuming just a bit more the Silk Cloud.  

I used every single molecule of the gorgeous Silk Cloud, running out about halfway through the bind off.  I thought about pulling back, but this is an item for heavy winter use.  I didn't feel that it's use would be affected by the missing slight haze enough to warrant pulling back mohair.  I would rather tease out knots that go through pulling mohair back.

The kids and I did some experimenting last week.  Well, I did.  The kids painted letters for their rooms.  I painted some fabric.


Almost looks like a field with a distant horizon.  Needs a lot of work though.

When I lived in Spruce Grove, my friends there did all sorts of hand work.  They loved embroidery and some really splendid pieces.  We talked a lot about different kinds of embroideries and that reawakened my interest in the craft.  I purchased some really lovely books by Trish Burr and Kazuko Aoki and the life changing Embroidered Landscapes of Judy Wilford.

Most of the others are really just inspiration books, but this last was something I wanted, with my whole heart and soul. When I moved here to my small prairie town, to this house with it's lovely bright bay windows, I knew I could have it.  She uses silk chiffon overlays to colour her backgrounds, but finding silk chiffons in my price point is difficult so I had to cast around for other ideas.

Watercolours are proving the answer to my quest and this is my first test.  I've never been an artist, not by a long shot but I can do well enough to colour the back of distant landscapes.  Foreground embroidery will provide prairie detail.  There is going to be more experimenting with paint on fabric before I start working on the piece, but it is nice to know that I can get where I want even with my terribly small, non existent skillset.

For today though, I am knitting and it looks like an inside day so I have decided that I am going to treat myself and start a new sweater.

Myrtle, here I come.

No comments: