Friday 16 August 2019

Back on the back burner.

If you recall, a few weeks ago, I picked up my winter overcoat project and talked about needing more yarn.  I think I said that I ordered from Macauslands again.  This is such a distinctive yarn, unlike anything in my stash and I really wanted the character of the yarn to be the same all the way through my jacket.  The yarn arrived yesterday.

I had two prospective colours that I thought would give me what I wanted.  


I choose poorly. 

I didn't want to just choose black.  That is my fallback, but I didn't want to go there without trying something else.  I had two really good choices with the browns and I just picked the wrong one.  It is a beautiful foresty green brown heather with undertones of rusty red and is very pretty, but my yarn is a more teal brown heather. I felt that sticking to two heathered colours was the way to go.  But no.  

I did debate closing my eyes and knitting it, colour be darned, but I simply cannot do that.  

I went trolling through the colours on my sample card, keeping in mind that they are only samples, and found the colour that works the best with my colour is teal.  I'd be willing to bet they don't have teal in the three ply.  I'm also not sure that I want to have teal on my winter outer coat.  It would be striking in colourwork, but it isn't quite the look I want as colour blocks.

It feels like my current choices are going to be natural brown and black, if they have black.  (Not all colours are available in three ply at all times.)  Plus, I have to decide if I want to mail order again.  

Before I go weeping in my tea/coffee, this isn't all bad.  Not at all.  It is a strikingly pretty heathered yarn and is going to make something fantastic.   If it doesn't go for mittens and hats, it will be great as a warm vest or as a sweater for some little boy who thought he would like a heavy warm sweater for going to school in the fall. 

So the winter coat project is back on the back burner, till the right yarn comes.  The goal for next week is to put the oversweater to the forefront of my knitting.  There is a distinct chill in the morning air this morning, a reminder that summers end isn't that far away and that this particular sweater is becoming a need, rather than a want.

 



No comments: