Tuesday 14 May 2019

Where does it go?

May is a big month for Birthdays here at Chez Needles.  First up is my wee one, Emmett.


He is one whole year old and is just the happiest little guy.  He is creeping around the house on the floor and is just learning how to get into stuff.  But he is easily distracted, and is too young to say no. It's a wonderful age.

And then, though we celebrated just a wee bit early so we could surprise him, my dad.  


90 years young and still keeps up well enough with the little kids.


and most of the big ones too!


Not quite all of the grandkids and great grandkids, but enough to make a happy, cheerfully noisy afternoon for a 90 year old. What a wonderful thing to be 90.  And the weather cooperated too.

From my side, only wee Emmett's family wasn't there.  My wee Emmett


is off doing the touristy thing with his brothers and his mom and dad.  They are in Disneyland, a trip they have been planning for months.  Emmett is getting ready for all the coastal sunshine and is looking mighty fine.

And then there is my oldest son, Anthony.  His birthday is the day before my Dad's but since he is celebrating last, I'm going to talk about it last.



Right about this very minute, 39 years ago, my eldest son was born.  Thirty nine years.   How the heck did 39 years go by?  It was hot that spring.  I had a very healthy tan by this time that year.

I have been thinking about how time has gone so fast that I could possibly be the mom of a guy that old, and I have to admit that I am a little bit floored by it. All those minutes, all those days, turned into little lives and children of his own.  Overwhelmed.  Verklempt beyond that.  Oddy verklempt.

Happy birthday to all three of you, beginning, middle and on the far side.


  Photography by Amy Renneberg, Glenda Young and Iryna Scott.  Thank you all for the great work.



No comments: