Wednesday 2 January 2019

The Question of Sock Yarn

A while ago, while I was going through my sock yarn, I noticed how many seemed to have orange in them.


It felt like everything I had was either plain or orange.  It isn't quite that bad, in truth, but a lot of my sock yarn stash is plain.  I do have patterns I want to use them with, but the middle of winter, or rather the start of deepest winter is not the time to knit those.  I need to be much more thoughtful about knitting plain colours in summer in wild cable and lace patterns.  In the middle of winter, I need all the colour I can get.



I made a little excursion to Jo's Yarn Garden with a friend, and answered the question of sock yarn.  I really tried to focus on buying yarns that were not orange.  I would also like you to note just how many of these lovely lovely yarns have orange as a major component of them,  Perhaps orange is a major component of the colours of joy?  It must be.

There are some delicious yarns in here.  My first Opals!  Some pretty joyful Jawolls, some Comfort Sock and even a skein of Allegro from Wisdom yarns.  It's the purple one and contains no wool.  It is wonderfully soft and has an interesting twist to it.  I have a family who really isn't into wool, so I thought trying an alternative fibre was smart.  The yarn is going to have to meet my demanding washer and dryer and long lasting standards but it is worth giving it a shot.  I long for a good plain not stretchy all cotton sock yarn in pretty patterns like the good old days of 2008. I miss my old cotton Confetti yarn. (I think it was called Cotton Confetti)

And there is more, but not too much.

A few other tidbits fell into my basket.


I couldn't leave that electric blue Zauberball. I needed, needed, needed that blue.  Sigh. So perfectly blue.

The other things were a bit of an accidental find.  The little tool is a Multi tool called a Loome.  It says it can do at least 6 different things, none of which are why I purchased it.  But it is sweet and will get its own post a bit later.  

The tube of rayon is silly sort of thing, but it will work for what I need.  I'm not sure you will remember these from my trip, 

  
These are ends from large weaving cones that I found at Camilla Valley Farms last summer.  I had to have these colours and didn't really know why till I got home.  Obviously, a memory of Grandpa Diederichs' blanket.  This cream will stand in for the cream in the ripple design to recreate my grandpa's blanket as a scarf or shawl for myself.  I am a child of the 70's and I love these colours.

And that was my bright wonderful day adventuring.  Back to babysitting days and sleeve knitting tomorrow...unless I am overwhelmed with the need to knit socks in bright pretty middle of the winter dark breaker colours.

No comments: