Saturday 19 May 2018

Not out of my system yet.

I finished up the last bit of hats last evening and got up this morning to work on the sweater.  Only I didn't feel like knitting on the sweater.  What to do?  What to do?

Baby knitting is not out of my system yet.

The other day while sorting through yarns for baby things, I pulled out a few stray colours of Berroco Comfort Chunky.  I had yellow and white that I picked up when RCY was selling off the last of the yarn in their stock.  I picked up a single blue at another time from the bottom of the bottom of a discount bin. 



I always thought it would be perfect for kids scarves and little kiddie hats but it just was never the right yarn for my kiddies.  I was never sure it was enough for a baby blanket either.  Turns out 685 metres is.  Or it will be.


It won't be a giant blanket but rather something useful.  It is about 24 inches wide and I am going to knit till the whole is about 32 inches long.  There ought to be enough left to make a small edging, probably garter stitch to keep it all from rolling. As you can see, the plan is to use twice as much white and yellow as blue, so that by the time I am done, I will have almost the same amount left of each, for the edging and between each completely balanced colour section there will be a garter ridge of blue, distinct from the double rows of blue between the yellow at the center of the repeat.  Simple, a little bit playful and making the most of whatever metres I need to make a nice blankie.

Two repeats in almost no time at all this morning,  a pleasing bit of well balanced colour play that is knitting up very quickly.  


No comments: