Thursday 21 December 2017

On the subject of Bags

When I go out and about in the world, I always have something to knit with me.  You never know when you will have to sit and wait, and I just can't bear just sitting there.  And I almost always have my knitting tucked in a ziploc style plastic bag.

There are dozens upon dozens of bag designers out there.  Etsy  is simply filled with delightful bags. Specifically for knitting.

I even have some sweet project bags.  I have a couple really nice ones from River City Yarns and a couple others that did not start life as knitting project bags, but sure work well for it. Heck I have all sorts of fabric scraps and more than enough skills to make a simple drawstring bag.  I could even get fancy and insert zippers and sew shapes and be funky because I have those skills too. I could certainly make my own.  

So why don't I?  Well, I kind of like to see what is in any particular bag.  If you add 'clear' to the search terms above, you can even get those so clear poly to sew must be out there.  Heck, you could even insert a fine netting panel and be able to see through it.  

But I seem to stick to Ziplocs.  They are cheap.  They are handy.  I never run out.  For sweaters, I have very large bags that can accomodate yarn and project and smaller ones to accommodate smaller projects like socks.  I use these working bags over and over and use them till they really don't keep closed.  I don't generally care if the bag has a small hole or two.   It just has to keep it all together.  

Why such a generic topic for such a fine morning?  Because my laundry drain pipe was plugged a couple days ago and I cleaned the drain last night.  Now I am sitting running a first test load to see if everything draining again.  This is the second time it has happened.  The first time, was, we thought,  was from fuzz compacting in the drain from a torn dryer vent pipe.  We thought fixing that would take care of it, long term,  but no. I woke one morning to find a dampish rug that shouldn't have been damp and my sorted piles of clothes wet from the bottom up.  Further inspection showed that water seeped downstairs into the unfinished area.  It seems to be working now but I think cleaning the drain is going to have to be something I do every couple of months.  

So.  Load complete.  No water on floor, or in even worse places.  It all seems to have gone where it was supposed to go.  So busy day planned for me.  Get laundry complete before holiday adventures.  Plus wrapping and organizing gifts.  And finishing gifts.  Oh and yes, building gifts, but that's ok.  It's fun. 

No comments: