Wednesday 20 December 2017

And now the sweater.

And now the sweater.  

I started this little red cardigan style topper back in May for a summer wedding in the family.  It was dreadfully hot and sunny the day of the wedding and I didn't end up going.  Some of my medications say pretty clearly on them to avoid direct sunlight and I have never good ion really hot days, not even inside the house. I puff up like a balloon. Current medical advice is so don't do that, so I don't.

Anyway, the sweater is more or less complete.

All that remains to do is the bottom edging, which started out being a variation on the rolled edge I like, but is going to be taken out and turned into a garter stitch edge to match the collar.

I think you can see the edge here. 

It's 3 rows of reverse stockinette followed by 5 of stockinette but the rool, as it is wont to do, rolls to the reverse stockinette side here, rather than the stockinette side that happens on the very pleasing front edge.  


You can clearly see the difference in look between the heavier double look rolled edge on the sleeve and the much daintier edge on the fronts.  

If left as is, there are 3 different looking edging treatments, the dainty front edge, the garter stitch at the collar, 


And as on the sleeve edge.  I like the way the first two look, but I am not very happy at all with the look of the double roll.  

I think I will take out the double rolls on the sleeves and pull back the bottom to the end of the last pattern repeat, and I'm going to do that simple little garter edging.  I think to give it that tiniest bit extra weight, I will knit 5 rows and cast off on the 6th row, rather than just the two garter ridges here, but it will be much more in tune with the rest of this sweater, than if I kept the overly heavy looking double rolled look.     

Once that is done, I want to knit a bit of i-cord to tie it together right at the neckline.  I won't have to search for buttons that way.

When I started knitting 10 years ago, buttons could be found everywhere and you could do a sweater for 6 dollars easily.  It has changed dramatically.  The price of buttons has jumped and the number of places to get good buttons is fewer.  Unless you look online.  Unfortunately, while there are many places to get buttons, I haven't had much luck finding a supplier that just had what I was looking for.

It is also possible that I am looking for something that isn't out there anymore, and that promises a new adventure for next year.

Dorset Buttons , available now for kindle and a new book coming out May of 2018, Creating Dorset Buttons.



 

No comments: