Friday 3 November 2017

That difficult yarn

Every stash has yarns you adore, purchased because you love them, but that you have absolutely no idea what to do with.  For a very long time, I managed to avoid this but over the years a few crept in and no matter how much I love them, I am at a loss of what to do with them.

Case in point (pretty sure I have mentioned these yarns before) .


I love, love, love this colourway of Kureopatora.  It just punches sadness in the face and chases it away. I bought it on a day that I felt happy and it just said everything I felt that day.  At the time, it didn't matter how I would use it, it only mattered that it said happy.   


I bought this at exactly the same time.  I think I even saw the yellow first.  It said happy to me as well, but felt I should leave it.  It was a pricey happy in comparison to the Kureopatora, yet right before my purchases went on the counter, I closed my eyes and put it up there too because...


This.  It was, after all, a pretty good day.

They speak to me individually, but together, they are a dance of joy for the dullest day together.  I do want to use them together, but I am just not certain how.  

At the time I thought perhaps a sweater for Cassie.  She is small and can carry all the colour.  Plus, in  stripes of solid yellow and strong colours, they would work, and would defeat winter on her tiny frame.  BUT I am not sure I can let it go.  I might want it for me.  I am leaning a little towards a Daybreak shawl, But I am not sure that  the lovely yellow is the best colour to show off the happy of the Kureopatora.  In a small sweater, yes, but I'm not so sure it would work in a large swath of a shawl like Daybreak, which depends on the linear nature of the slipped stitches off set by the colour and the arch of the finished project.  The yellow really is an extension of the yellow in the Kureopatora, rather than setting it off.  

I think that is the reason I am having trouble choosing something for this yarn.  Do I offset or do I extend?  And depending what I do, do I let the yarn go, or do I keep it just for me?

I did find a yellow Cascade 220 that would work perfectly with the Kureopatora as the yoke of a sweater for myself, but I had to go home and think about it.  It would make me happy, but would that too similar yellow make it all be just too bright and strong?  Would I lose the happy in this yarn, diluted by too much strong colour, just like how too much of any happiness can be lost if that is all you have.  Would it end up that I loved it as balls of yarn, but not as a finished sweater for me? 

It is entirely possible that these two lovely skeins ought to remain as decor, sitting on my dresser in a lovely glass jar, in front of my dandelion curtains in my yellow bedroom.  Maybe that is the happiness I need from them.  I am not sure of that yet either.

The search goes on.  Strong colours, happy colours, can sometimes be difficult colours.

No comments: