Monday 11 September 2017

Purple Punch

In case you were wondering why no shawl work was done, I had company this weekend.  My wee Marcus isn't so wee anymore.  He is three and Great Grandpa and Grandma just happened to come up to his birthday party!  It was a lovely weekend and I have to thank my brother for bringing them up a hundred thousand times and more.

When last you saw the shawl, I was midway through the second grey.



I blew past this and the third grey in fine order and then I had a problem.

It was time to come up with colour four.  Colour four was going to be rose or white, depending on which looked better with this soft progression of greys.  As I was digging in the yarn, I came across a little something else and went an entirely different direction.


This deep purple has been hiding in my stash for a very long time.  It was one of my first purchases from Red Bird Knits so very very long ago, when she still had a small but very lovely online yarn store.  It was a coned yarn from Jaggerspuns Heather line in amethyst.  It is a worsted spun rather than the woollen spun as the Brigg's and Little Sport is, but I know this yarn.  It poofs up quite nicely once it is washed and I think it will be just fine.  I started a project with it once but it wasn't right and I forgged it.  This pretty stuff has been waiting to find its purpose ever since.

I think it found its purpose.


It's a little difficult to see just how right this rich deep colour is for these greys.  It is just the right punch without the harshness of black or the starkness of white. It is punch without faded glory of the rose I thought I would use.

I had hoped to get just to the start of the second ridge of purple so you could see it in contrast to the very light main colour, sheeps grey.  Evening is catching up with me and I started making mistakes in the lace.  Time to put the project down.

This is such a wonderful knit though.  It's the kind of pattern and yarn combination that are hard to put down even when sense tells me too.  If you are thinking you would like a very traditional warm hap (shawl) of your very own, do consider this lovely pattern. 

No comments: