Sunday 10 September 2017

The things I did today

So it is time to hunker down.  The season is about to cool, no matter how much we don't want it to.  Days are shorter and the even the hottest days, are blessed by cool night.  Across the prairies, harvest is begun. It is a little later locally, but c'est la vie.   If I have to hunker down, I need to fix a couple of things.

First up, My Argo sweater.  I love this sweater.

I wore it all last winter without buttons and really did not want to go through the cold again without.  If you recall, buttons went on a few weeks ago.

The other problem that is not so evident in the picture is how short the sleeves were.  They were perfectly 3/4 length but I am wearing the sweater outside all winter with a vest as a windbreaker.  I really needed full length sleeves.

Friday, while digging for something very different , I found the two cones of yarn the sweater was made in.  I pulled it out and I fixed the sleeves today.


I removed the cuffs and knit about 4 more inches of the darker gray.  I was worried I would run out, but had plenty.


I used the yarn from the original cuffs and reknit the cuffs.  I did think about grafting, but that seemed like a lot of extra work for no payoff.  Knitting was quicker.

The only trouble is that I only realized how very much tighter my knitting was, on wooden 5 mm dpn's versus the short metal circulars for the original part of the sleeve, after the second cuff was well under way.  I called it good.  No one will notice but me.  Maybe another knitter, but the ones I know, who would comment would probably agree with my decision.  They might not do it that way, but they would fully support my choice.

I love knitters.

And that was pretty much all the things I did today.


No comments: