Tuesday 19 July 2016

Oh What Tangled Webs We Weave


Years ago I bought a small loom from a friend who needed to have it gone, and while it intrigued me, I did not find it very satisfying.  Lately, though, my good friend, Frazzledknitter has been leading me down the garden path.   As you can see.  She told me about some great books and a great Ravelry board and I have to say, I am smitten.  Whole days between chasing kiddies were spent reading and absorbing and planning and dreaming.

Only I had one small problem. 

My loom was warped with my project from back when I first cast it on. 

There was about a foot and a half left to weave, and it seemed wrong to just cut it off.  Finished, it's about 5 feet long and about 8 inches wide.  It would be a fine scarf if it were made from a wool yarn, but it is my old enemy friend, kitchen cotton that would never die.

It has a couple of very bad edges,






And some really pleasing sections,




And on the whole, for a first effort, just fine and dandy.


 One end is a tad more tightly woven than the other, but I do believe I accomplished my goal, even if my goal on warping the loom was 'weaving' and nothing beyond that.


I have no idea what to use it for.  It is not towelish.  It is more than a washcloth.  It could be a table runner, but not a very good one.  There will be a way to use it.  I just don't know what that is yet.

I do have lots of ideas now, so watch out little loom, I am going to be spending more time with you.

No comments: