Monday, 16 May 2016

Trying soimething a little different

As I was working on socks this weekend, I realized I was looking for something just a little different.
I was at about 2/3rds the length of my foot, which is about where you start a heel flap for a toe up heel flap so I thought why not do that. It's been a while, but it seemed like a good idea.

My brain wasn't done with play.

I turned the heel and was ready to pick up stitches, when I thought that I could do something different. So I did.

My friend, Frazzledknitter, told me about a heel she had come across on a link to a bunch of free   vintage patterns, the Beehive Aladdin Heel . It's an easily replaceable heel, which is really interesting.  My heels always wear out first and this heel variation isn't hard at all.  Basically, you sew the gussets that were made on cast on stitches rather than picking up stitches along the heel.  The link shows you insert a line of other thread across the back of the heel, too to make it easier to pull out the stitches down the road, but it is easy enough to simply cut and weave back at that point.

So that is what I did.

It looks a little odd, but it seems like it is going to work fine.  I have a good feeling about this.

No comments: