Sunday 1 November 2015

Where was I?

It seems like so long since I blogged that I had to go back and check to see what I said last. All I know is that I am well rested.

I did a ton of stuff over the weekend, most of it having to do with putting stuff on shelves and going through papers.  Suffice it to say, I feel almost organized.  That was Friday and Saturdays work and Sunday?  Sunday was a day of rest.  I knit.

Which means the blob fronts are done.  I did not think it would happen, but Sunday, as I struggled not to look at another box of paper  found all the energy and gumption I needed and knitting was easy.  In truth it was a question of which one I was avoiding more. Turns out, papers.

As I knit that last front, I found myself with a question.  The plan was to knit the sleeves in place, but and this is the thing... what happens when you felt?  One piece will felt wide and the other will felt in length, at the seam, perpendicular to each other. If I knit the sleeves in, just how will I know how many stitches to cast on and will it work right or will it be a horrid mess.

Though there is a slight shortage of the gray yarn, there is lots of the green.  I thought it would be a good idea to do a swatch. 

Since I had two sides, there would be two experiments.  Side one was picked up at a rate that is equal to the stitch gauge rate or 3 stitches per inch.



This is what the math says there should be, but yanno...I fear my math may not be in sync with the vagaries of felting.  It looks so skinny, and I know, I ought to have done a bigger swatch, but by this point in the day my hands were utterly done.

For the second side, I picked up more, every second stitch.  I am quite certain that this is going to be too many but... 



Maybe somewhere in the middle will be the answer.

The shoulder seams and the fit in this area are what make or break a garment.  I really would like to see it work out at one of these two gauges.  Or somewhere in between.

I won't be afraid to have to sew (lapped seams if you were wondering) but I really don't want to have to.  I am not sure my machine can take the load!  Seriously, if the fabric turns out well enough but the shaping needs just a little work, then I will sew.

Of course there is always that bag plan.  Or a cat bed.

All I really know is that this is going to be something.  Something big.  It already is.

No comments: