Monday 2 November 2015

While a blob swatch is out for felting

I am playing with kiddies again today.  It is starting to look like this is going to be a fairly regular gig, so I am going to have to come up with some sensible knitting to take along that will meet my regular knitting goals.

I have to stop there for a minute.  Gosh darn it, I do seem to have knitting goals.  News to me and I am going to have to think about that.  I thought all my knitting was free wheeling. Ah well.

I have been thinking about what will work as my take along knitting.  It needs to be something fairly simple so that it can be picked up and set down with ease.  I think I am going to start on a sweater for Isaac.  He really like Caters sweater and so did his mom, and there is plenty of the blue denim to make him a sweater too.  

Because he is a bigger guy, 7 in very short order, I am going to do a raglan or a saddle shoulder.  Either will work, but i do want it to be something that is going to last a while, just like Carter's.  So I am expecting to knit at least an 8 possibly a 10 and for sure the size 10 for length of body and sleeves.  He is a tall young man and every time I turn around, he grows.  I am going to copy Carter's in the design details.  that same seed stitch on top and alternating bands of stockinette and reverse stockinette.  Like Carters, there isn't going to be a nipped in ribbing at all.  I think that is a design detail we are long past and if I want the sweater to grow with him, I will be better served to have that loose relaxed fit look.

I also have mom's bolero to work on.  That would be a great take along too, because it is simple enough once I get past the sleeves increases.  Even during the sleeve increases, it is fairly simple.  I do want to block that before I go on, to see if I have the gauge I wanted.  It seems on the small side, and if I have to knit it larger, it seems a good idea to know now before I have to tink back the whole darn thing.

Anyway, there is knitting, there are kiddies and chasing of the same.  Life is good. 

No comments: