Thursday 8 October 2015

It has spoken and what did it say?

It has spoken and what did it say?

It said this!

I love the way this yarn is working.  And no it would not have been a good candidate for Geek socks.  Ah well.  The fuzzy edges have their own way of being great.

As you can see, I am still on a sock kick.  I still can't find the needle for Ripstick, and the other thing I should be knitting on is black.  I think it is the black that is keeping me in sockland. this will probably be it though for a while.

Sock heels.  I will gladly discuss sock heels.

I started doing afterthought heels when I had a lot of socks and was trying to knit some socks for my sisters.  The Yarn Harlot had a sock that she ended up using the technique on and I had to investigate.  and its been a great addition to the heel library.  It is based on Elisabeth Zimmermann's afterthought pocket, where you don't insert a strand of waste yarn but cut a single stitch of knitting at the point you want to insert the pocket or in this case, heel.  For me, it was a way to knit for others almost to completion and let me free to gift any pair to anybody.

I also use it whenever I just feel like knitting and need to find a not thinking place. I use it when I have enough socks and just need to knit socks, such as right now.  I use it when I am knitting for someone and I don't know what size shoe they wear.

This past year, I have knit several different kinds of heel flap heels, short row garter stitch heels, and made socks for afterthought heels.  Some of the last bit are worn as a tube sock in the end, particularly monster socks, from all the leftover bits and pieces.

I like varying it.  It keeps things fresh.  It's interesting technical fun to understand how the different heels fit, even when the variation between heel construction is very small.  I have tried the sweet tomato heel and plan to get to the fish lips kiss heel sometime soon.  Plenty of heels and socks in the sea still to try, even though I have been knitting them and wearing them exclusively since 2008.  Its just interesting.



No comments: