Thursday 4 June 2015

Beyond the Proto-Sweater Stage

And then there were sleeves!



I did  not think I was going to get those done yesterday.  Now that I think of it, I didn't but I did end the day with only the last cuff to be knit this morning.  And that pleases me to no end.

When I first started knitting, I recall reading a blog where the poster said she no longer felt she was a sweater knitter because she could not bring herself to knit the sleeves.  I understand that feeling.

I hate knitting sleeves. They feel fiddly to me.  It isn't the small diameter.  That feels normal and good, but I sure do hate flipping the body of whatever I am working on. The hassle of flipping that sweater body while knitting sleeves on the body of seamless sweater is the only reason that I might someday, knit a sweater in pieces.

Much as I hate all the flipping, I want the finished sweater more.  That makes it easy to push through to the end of the second sleeve.  

Now comes the part that so many knitters feel is endless stockinette.  I like this part.  Nothing to do, but knit and knit and knit.  

I expect to hate the large swath stockinette down the road, but I am going to enjoy the more or less mindless bit for a while.  

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

'Couldn't agree more on the "flopping" I actually avoid top down sweaters for that reason!