Tuesday 3 March 2015

I am quite determined to keep working on Viajante even as I play in yarn and as I tend to my knitting.  I might be dreaming of new yarn things, but I still work on the old.

I stopped to get a library card last evening.  Its been tough finding time to fit it in.  I thought of it, and zipped over just before the library closed.  Its not an active card yet but will be by the end of the day.

I mostly want access to digital resources.  ebooks.  There is so much that reminds me of my first library experience in this last.  

When I was a kid, my school had a library and there was a tiny library of books in the vestry at the church.  When I was in grade 3, my teacher asked if I wanted to join the provincial library. Of course I did.  

The provincial library sent out pamphlets and lists of books that they had.  You filled in what you wanted off the list and they would send it to you in the mail. You could ask for a title that wasn't on the list and they would send that too.  It was wonderful getting books in the mail.  

Within a year or so, I think as part of the centennial celebration, they took the entire collection and established regional libraries and local libraries.  The books would shift through the system and eventually the entire collection of books would hit your town. You could ask for a book and it would be brought in for you, if a title you wanted wasn't there.

In so many little ways, the digital age has made the library experience feel like the old time experience with the provincial library.  You look at lists of books, you pick, and if you can't find what you are looking for you can join the interconnected system and check out those resources.  Its kind of neat.  And just a little bit dejavu.

No comments: