Thursday, 13 November 2014

I finished the bright multi colour hat and I have to admit.  I forgot to take a picture of it!  I hate when that happens.

This is all I will get unless I catch him when he is wearing it.  some notes if you are interested in making one for a 5 year old.

I could have stayed with the original number of stitches.  It would have been fine.  It is still great with 12 less stitches.  Also, I would knit it longer by about an inch for this particular kid.  The fold up brim is going to be a little short.  It should be good at 6.5 inches for a kids head, I had 7 plus the brim and it is ok but not great.

Now, about the sweater and its rolling edge.  Brenda in the comments had some good words of advice. That is good advice and if nothing else works out, it will be taken, but first I will play and fool around. Somewhere along the way, I planned to do a rolling edge, like I did on my blue sweater 

but I didn't want the width.  It would have beaten the roll to be sure.  I don't know where I changed paths, but it may very well have had something to do with the fronts width.  I don't really want overlap and I set it up so that the button band had to be minimal.  Right from the start I was thinking of a hook and eye type closure.  I wanted whatever I did to be a single theme all around the edge.  

  The one thing I didn't like with the blue sweater was my choice to do a garter stitch bottom.

Anyway, somewhere along the line, I think my actual plan, if one layer of i-cord isn't enough, was to knit on another layer of i-cord.  

Or fishing weights.  Time will tell and I think it will be an adventure to get it right.

No comments: