Tuesday 7 October 2014

A Chaos Theory

I got home and picked up my mail and found a package that I had forgotten about.  So I unwrapped as I ate my dinner and just had a lovely time.  I didn't really feel like knitting, so I took myself off to my study and decided to do a little work in my stash.  Its a little nutty in here since I last went stash diving a few weeks ago, but it is comfortable to sit among it.  I love the feeling of all the yarn around me.

My package contained yarn from Elann.  I loved Elann for their speedy service and I liked a lot of their products.  I loved their bag sales.  But as everyone knows by now they are going the way of Amazon and are closing the Canadian operations.  Amazon,  the company that lets their shippers drop mail in snow banks on the street where anyone and his dog could pick up whatever you ordered.  That isn't the way I want my yarn handled.

I used my last credits to get something just for play.  I have looked at the Wool and Angora mix, the Dk weight one.  I wanted to see how it felt in comparison to the lovely stuff I have from Elsebeth Lavold.


I do love the way it looks, but I am not I can describe how it feels.  It is unusual. It says it is 75% wool and 25 % angora, so I would have thought it would have a bit more zip to it.  Still the lack of zip, the solidity, the density, is what I adore about the Elsebeth Lavold.  This yarn is woollen spun and that might play into how it feels.  I do love a woollen spun yarn.  It creates a lighter warmer yarn so this combination should win in two ways.

I don't know that I would pay for a sweaters worth.  Its is fairly pricey at 14.50 a ball, but I have enough yarn to make a really stunning shawl.  Angora, with its some haze of warmth will be a perfect accompaniment to something much simpler, like a plain sweater or a basic black or navy wardrobe - like I have.

So it is all good in all ways and I look forward to trying it.

By the end of the evening, I had tucked enough things away that you could walk easily through the room again.  This new yarn is sadly, not tucked away.  

No it is starting its own new pile.  A new pile of yarn.  Surely a good thing. Tidy isn't always what it is cracked up to be.  Sometimes chaos is good.

No comments: