Thursday 24 May 2012

To be or not to be?

I can't finish the blue sweater till I have a good clear head on my shoulders, so I have spent my time these last few days thinking about what is next.

I really wanted to try a contiguous knit.  BrendaKnits linked to the Contiguous group on Ravelry and I passed the link on to my friend, Knittydee (on Rav).  She finished  a Romy and oh my it is gorgeous.  

I also wanted to use a really great summer yarn, some Rowan Bamboo Tape that I have in my stash.  Its a yarn that is a smooth as butter in a colour that is the softest of soft blues.  Stunning stuff.  But the yarn is a grower.  According to everyone who knit it, it grows width wise and it grows lengthwise because of its tape construction, so using it for a garment can be a challenge. I knit a sweater once with the yarn and by the time it was done, the project was much much too large for the intended recipient. That was so long ago and so early on in my knitting skills.  I am much more able to knit to the yarn than I was.  I'm not a hundred percent sure that a solid stockinette garment in it is going to be a good idea and I am not ready to knit contiguous and to try to get a pattern established. That is just a little too much challenge right now.

I thought and thought and by the time I was ready to knit it, I had lost my gumption for that plan.  So what next?    I really don't know for sure.  

In the meantime, and because I can always find more space for unfinished objects, I am casting on for a Gregale   but it will be top down and all in one piece.  It looks nice and simple, and it will be so, once I get going, but there is enough challenge in the shaping of the neckline to keep my wanting to learn new stuff part of me busy for a while.  

I'd knit it contiguously but it is a raglan, and part of what I like about it is the raglan shaping.  So...off I go.  Into the wild blue yonder.  Or should I say Blush?  
If I can't sort out the raglan shaping to my satisfaction, then I will change the sleeves and go contiguous.  Who knows?  I might go there straight away.  

Because contiguous still sounds like a really really great way to knit a sweater.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I'm making a contiguous cardigan right now, using Tanis laceweight. (I've kind of Frankenpatterned something together from a few resources). Brenda got me onto this method as weel, and so far? I love it. I love a nice raglan, but sometimes,t he crispness of a set in style is what I'm after. I'll post progress soon.