Friday 25 May 2012

Genius

Every once in a while, genius spontaneously erupts.  This is true of every human venture, but it is particularly true in knitting.

The first knitter to figure out that you could take one long strand of rope like material and pick it up through the other one on the needle, over and over again, to invent knitting out of what most likely was a nalbinding or netting technique.  Genius.

The first knitter who realized that if you did one little thing different, you were not knitting wrong, you were purling.  Genius.  

The first person who discovered if you just kept knitting around and around, you would get a tube.  Genius.

There have been hundreds of flashes of genius in knitting that changed our lives right up to and including Barbara Walker, Elizabeth Zimmermann, Judy Becker of Magic Cast On fame, and Jeny Staiman of Jeny's stretchy cast off fame.  Genius.

I would like to add another name to the list because really.  Genius. 

SuzieM invented a way to knit a top down, set in sleeve that starts with the cast on row and is knit all in one peice.  She calls it Contiguous.  It does not replace the genius of Barbara Walker's simultaneous set in sleeve, but rather builds upon it.  Serious flashes of genius here.

The technique has ample room for different looks, from single stitch shoulder 'seams' to saddle look shoulders right down to no 'seam stitch at all, just an interesting patterning.

I picked up my yarn and needles yesterday to begin Gregale and contiguous is what happened.  It isn't the lovely blue bamboo tape I was contemplating, but another round of the gorgoeus Remix, from Berocco, this time in a soft coral/ pink/rose called Blush.  It wasn't a decision I seemed to make, so much as my hands seemed to take it on themselves.     


By evening I was ready to separate for the sleeves. I knit a few rows and then realized it wasn't going to work.  
It would be too pointy and narrow for my rounded, chubby shoulders. If you look above, you will see what a lovely little triangle it is forming.  It needed to start with more stitches, but it also needed to grow wider faster for a good fit.

So back to the drawing board.  I pulled back and reknit doubling the first few increases on the sleeve.  Its making a much more pleasing line that I hope will look just right.  A little time will tell if I have the rate of increases right.  I have to get below the neckline to where I join it and begin knitting in the round.  Then I can have a quick try on and check.  

I'm trying to keep the long shallow slope of the neckline.  That was a little challenging because on Gregale, as designed, the shallow neck slope begins midway on the sleeve, right about where a seam would sit had it not been designed with raglan sleeves.  (I wasn't quite ready to try getting that width on a contiguous knit foundation.  I think I know what I would do if I wished to restart, which I don't)     

Anyway, with the rain this week, the garden and more work in it, is going to have to wait.  There will be ample time to move  this sweater along.  And if the weather forecast is right, I'll be able to work on it sitting in the sunshine on my back deck.  

SuzyM, I think time will prove me right. The flash of genius that sometimes happens in knitting popped in your direction, you caught it, and ran with it.  Genius, SuzyM.  Pure genius.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Well, goshdarn it, that technique looks amazing. I think I wasted a full hour on Ravelry investigating it today. Thanks for the tip!

Sandra said...

I'm loving my contiguous sweater as well! It's been on hold while some gift knitting has been taking place, but I'm dying to get back to it, and get a little further down the sleeve to see how it is lying on my shoulders.

Brendaknits said...

I did Suzie's sample knit-a-long last winter but have yet to try it on a 'real' garment. I'll be anxious to hear your take on it.