Monday 14 May 2012

A little hampered

I'm a little hampered this morning because I don't have any access to my pictures.  I suspect that my pictures would look a lot like the last time I showed you whatever project.  That is one of the things I dislike about big projects.  There just isn't the opportunity for flinging photos about like there is when you work on small things like socks and mittens.  There is always a point where it looks exactly like it did last time.

It isn't that there was no knitting.  There was lots of knitting.  The blue cotton plain jane summer sweater is down to the point where it is just straight knitting.  It won't be long now till I have to make some firm decisions about the finishing touches.

The big fella otherwise known as son 2, came out and tried on his sweater.  It looks just about perfect.  You will be delighted to know that the sleeves are perfect.  The body is just the right length, and if I do just a few more rounds at the neckline, it too will be perfect.  The only part left is the ribbed shawl collar and I don't anticipate any trouble from it.  

And then there is this.  

 Its a little shawl made from a local indie dyer here in Edmonton, Dandelionfluff. Very pretty on a bamboo viscose wool base.  I've been tinkering away on it at lunch and occasionally at knit night and it is small but the number of stitches is significant.  

I'm thinking about putting the edging from the River Valley Shawl on it.  It is a edging based on an old Estonian pattern.  It is a brilliant edging, but like each clue in the River Valley shawl, there is something new to learn in it and after it sitting so long, I find I am a wee bit intimidated. On the original shawl, I ripped back my error on the edging, and I am ready to for clue 6, yet I hesitate. 

I was wondering if I could get over that hesitation by knitting that edging on something so far from where it belongs, far from that very very challenging shawl. (So challenging that the designer decided never to put it up for sale even though it is stunning).  I am going to take today and do a little math and see if the stitch counts are where they need to be for the edging to work out.  I have to take into account one fussy foolish bit.  I started this as a Multnomah, and Multnomah has that little 5 stitch spine.  I'm not sure how that will work out with this edging, but I shall see what I come up with.  

The math and counting at lunch time, and either finishing the Big fellas sweater tonite or working on mine.  A busy day ahead.  A busy week ahead, but I need to get these things both out of the way in very short order.  

Its gardening season, and for the next few weeks, that will be a kink in all knitting plans.

No comments: