Monday 28 May 2012

Knitting is like that

I made good progress on my pink sweater.  

Oh my gosh.  I'm knitting a pink sweater.  I thought it was coral.  I have to be careful how I wear coral, but pink I can wear, no problem! Seriously, it was not till I put in on to see how it would fit, that I realized how pink it was.  Not pastel pink, rosy pink!

Please don't ask me what I was doing with a bag full of Remix in a colour I was not sure I could wear.  I can only say in my defense that it looked more pink in the store?  I am feeling a mite silly since I have been worrying about how I was going to use a whole bag of coral.  I am in fact, knitting it now so that I would use the colour while it had a little bit of a fashion resurgence.  But a nice rose colour never is out of fashion. The joke is on me!

I digress.  Sorry.  I was knitting away and really enjoying it. I tried it on, and the fit will be just about right.  I love it when knitting math works, when numbers and gauge match and make sense on the needles.  Anyway, I was cruising.  I knit a whole bunch and decided to take count of my sleeve stitches.I didn't want to end up with sleeves that were too large again.  Its a little bit of a beginner mistake and I have done this a few times now.  I know better.  

So count I did.  By stitch count I was 10 increases per sleeve from where I would want to knit straight.  

Whoa Nelly.  I'm only about a third of the way down the sleeve. That should not happen till about 2/3rds of the way. Something is seriously wrong here.

An enthusiastic knitter mistake. Sigh.  I really ought to pay better attention to what I am doing.  See that dramatic bell on the inrease line?  Yup.  I'd been increasing every round.  Sigh.  Its supposed to be every other round.  Every round isn't going to produce a nice fitting sleeve. Every round might be pouffy looking.
Back to the drawing board.

There.  That looks so much better!  hahaha

It does look a little pouffy here, but the shoulder is squished up on my needles.  When it is sitting flat it has a really nice tailored look which is what I am going for.  The line of sleeve increases is much better and that is what matters here.

It does seem to be moving along nicely, though the knitting is never going to go so fast as I want if I keep having to re-knit.  But getting it right is completely possible in knitting.  

I'll take my mulligan and move on. Knitting is like that.  

2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

Knitting is like that. And it is good you didn't try to deny the issue.

Kelley said...

Several years ago, I was suffering from the arctic blast coming out of our office air conditioner. I grabbed a shawl from one of our photo piles and wrapped it over my shoulders.

It was pink! Thus began my appreciation for pink. It goes with everything! Chocolate brown, turqoise, lime green, black, dark purple, etc. Try it on with whatever you are wearing each day and you will get the idea.