Monday 9 April 2012

Well there you have it.

In the middle of the biggest sock 'thing' in quite a while, I had a quick project to do and I am really enjoying it.

It is a small shawl, a Multnomah, a bit of garter, a feather and fan pattern.  It is almost the perfect quick project pattern.  

I have been working in the company of some very very nice people this winter.  I did not really like the jobs quirks but the people have been grand.  I shared an office with a lovely lady.

The offices were recently renovated and the renovation left the heating system decidedly unbalanced.  The back offices sweltered and accounting was cold.  Beyond cold.  There were a lot of days where coats were common working wear.  I was lucky with my large stock of wool scarves and warm woolly sweaters.  And some days, scarf, sweater and shawl in layers were required.  They finally got the right balance in February, but there is just something about shared companionship of working in challenging conditions.  It ended up being a lot of fun because as chilly as it sometimes was, we could laugh together at the silliness of it all.

So this shawl is for my office mate Johanna, the loveliest of people, who I am really sorry to be leaving behind.

I have just today and tomorrow to work there, (Wednesday I move on to another assignment) so I need to finish this shawl tonite.

It is made out of a stunning yarn from River City Yarns, dyed specially for them by Handmaiden, named Eden.  They have two brand yarns now, the sturdy basic Epic, and this sinfully rich stuff.  

I know I talk a lot about earthy yarns, yarns that remind me of where we came from.  I love the feel of them in my hands, I love wearing garments with their sturdy honest plain folk feel.  But this is a whole different ballpark.  

Mostly wool with a bit of cashmere and a little nylon, Eden is sinfully rich and soft.  This is my first experience working with it, though I have a lovely red skein that I have been fondling through fall and winter.  (I've been a little sluggish knitting it up, but it is hard to let it go.  I mean what would I pet?) To say that I love to knit with earthy things is not to say that I don't like knitting with heavenly things too. It is a dream to knit.

I declare this a desert island yarn.

My desert island had better have a good link to the internet and be on a regular postal delivery route. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I've worked with that base - Tanis Fibre Arts purple label is wool, cashmere and nylon. I used it for socks for the husband and he has declared it his new favourite.
And I totally get knitting for co-workers when they are the special kind.