Friday 10 September 2010

When all the knitting is on a garter stitch blankie

When all the knitting is on a garter stitch blankie, there just isn't a lot of exciting knitting photos.  And a bark brown and licorice garter stitch blankie is about as thrilling as an empty ice cream bucket on a hot summers day.

It is a darn good thing that fall is the season of books.  It is just not possible for any small knitting store to carry all the hot new books for fall.  And in a way, the new books are not the coolest thing out in knitting book land.  Not always anyway.

Because of various things going on at the store, we have a host of the very best knitting books, the time tested, published and republished books on hand and I have been making sure I have them in my own personal library.  One of my purchases has been Poems of Color, Knitting in the Bohus Tradition by Wendy Keele.  (If you can't get the book from us consider this excellent online source)

Sometimes a book makes it hard to breathe.  The pictures of all those sweaters...all the beautiful delicate patterning, the things that are breathtaking even in black and white.  I wonder if I will ever get around to reading the book?  I do want to knit the book. I mean how could I ever decide on one?  I really do want to knit one of those fantastic detailed intricate delicate knits of the thousand stitches someday.  

These were not just knitting, these were and are art, wearable masterpieces of art.

And one day I will be a good enough knitter to do it. Just not yet.  But one day...

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Maybe we should have a 'call-in' of sorts. If this sweater were a poem, what poem would it be? Some of mine would be nursery rhymes!