Thursday 30 September 2010

Busy day

I am sitting here at 4:55 a.m. local Edmonton time, and I feel like I already did a whole days tasks.  

In these early hours, the TV is my friend.  It keeps me company and makes some noise so that I don't hear house noises.  If I heard the usual house noises, I'd worry that squirrels had invaded again, and you know, there are just some things you don't need twice in a lifetime.

This morning, promptly at 4 a.m., my tv signal disappeared.  (I have satellite tv) The screen kept reading that I needed to subscribe before I could watch this channel.  Sigh.  I already do.  

You can get through to technical support easily at this time of the morning.  He told me to go to a menu, hit 6, then 4, and tell him some numbers.  I did.  Then he told me to unplug the reciever.  I laughed.  No no says he, just pull the plug on the back of the reciever.  I laughed again.  He has obviously not seen how I have these things connected.  And how it is jammed in here.  If I move one thing, the whole shebang might fall out.  Even worse, if I unplug anything, it might all unplug.  

As these various scenarios whirled through my mind, I began to wonder about electronics.  Everything has a plug, sometimes 2.  The 6 inch tall, 2 inch wide sat box has 3 and a couple ports I don't use. Everything must be wired, hard wired, coaxed and otherwise connected.  I'm pretty sure that behind all the sleek units, the massive tvs, the elegant fronts of even the fanciest media centres is an absolute hornets nest of wiring and cables.  My mere humble bookshelves can hardly contain these wiring 'secrets' at the back of the shelf.  I have visions that in some distant future when humanity us looking at us as an archeological record, they are going to find these massive tangles featuring prominently in every home and wonder...

His suggestion worked.  The signal is restored.  But I had to play with cables for a while, before they all went back into the same space they occupied before and stopped pushing things off the shelf.

Its been a long morning.  And it isn't even 6 o'clock.  It can only go up from here.  I'm going to go knit now till I have to get ready for work. Garter stitch is looking really good.  Simple. Reliable.  Calm. 

No plugs.     

2 comments:

Sandra said...

at 4:55am, I was hitting the snooze button, so was up about 7 minutes later. I'd rather be watching TV and knitting at that time, but I was getting ready to go to work. Th eupside - the earlier I get there, the earlier I leave!
We have the same rat's nest of wires around our electronics as well. I'm really loving any and all things wireless...

Brendaknits said...

I'm with you on the teck stuff. I once complained to my son that a techie had wasted my time by asking the length of my connecting cord. I was sternly reproached. Apparently that is an important question in the techie world.