Saturday 10 July 2010

Bach to Mcferrin

When I was a child in grade 4, our teacher used to have us listen to a CBC Radio music series.  Part biography, part music program, it introduced those of us without pianos and music lessons the the big guns of classical music, Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, whether we wanted it or not.

It was sort of how every person in may part of the prairies was infused with the knowledge of fiddle music through Don Messer's Jubilee, which played Saturday night just before Hockey Night in Canada, on all the channels (1) that we could receive.

Sometimes simple exposure makes all the difference in the world because I have an affinity for fiddle music and Bach.  I think I have an affinity for this too.  

I caught this performance on TV a while ago.  It is from a Bach anniversary performance in Germany. Riveting.  Mesmerizing.  Possibly the very best vocal performance of any music in the history of mankind.  It has my vote. 

For P.A., my dear friend, who will love this and for N. who keeps my on an even keel.  Such are the people knitting brought me to.


Work was lovely yesterday.  My mood is much improved.  Listening to this piece is like icing on the cake.  

No comments: