Wednesday 23 June 2010

Three

I was working a little on the lacy Onerva shawl last night.  I really am enjoying it.  

There is something so sublime about sitting here, with delicate yarn in hand, making fine little stitches creating an airy tracery.  It makes me feel delicate and fine too.  Perhaps that is why lace knitting appeals to me. It is more than pattern.  It is a personal search for dainty delicate.

I'm still learning the pattern, but I am starting to notice the groups of three that show up.  Three edge stitches repeated, three basic rows.  Double decrease groups climb three high.  Stitches between sections of patterns across the rows, three different counts.

It is no wonder this pattern feels so hypnotic.  The repeats are hidden.  You have to go looking, but once you see them, they pop up everywhere.  

I didn't get enough done to take a different photo.  It still looks, to the untrained eye, exactly like it did from the weekends work, but soon, soon it will look like nothing else on earth.  Rhythmic, defined, delicate, a sigh with order and precision. 

No comments: