Thursday 27 May 2010

How to follow a pattern

I know that following a strictly laid out pattern is not something that comes easily for me.  Too much of the rebel rests in my soul.  Knitting usually allows for a good bit of rebellion, nay even encourages it. Even so, I am pushing the envelope.

I fully intend to knit patterns.  I want to adhere strictly to a row by row count.  I try to pay attention to what the written word  of a pattern says. I struggle with it.  Patterns seem to have this odd expectation that a knitter read the pattern through first to catch some of the important fundamentals of it.  

This morning I was reading the lacey little top pattern and noticed something that leads me to question my ability to read.  Why not?  After all, knitting has already taught me that I cannot count.    

The first part of the pattern says 'Lower Back'.  This is fine, except I knitted two fronts.  

Even I usually catch stuff like this.  And I am glad, really, really glad, that this is a simple pattern.  

    

No comments: