Friday 28 May 2010

We have had a very strange spring.  It was extremely warm in April, and now that it is May, it is cold.  Ahh, weather in Alberta.  Calgary had a good dose of snowstorm last evening.

Here, nearer Edmonton, it is just a little colder and much much drier than normal.  I'm trying to feel spring-like, but the truth is, I still want to hide inside and put my heater on to warm my toes. So do my tomatoes and begonias.

I want to knit spring things (and I am) but I really feel like knitting heavy warm winter things. I have a heavy winter vest on the go somewhere deep in the WIP archive. I was going to knit some intarsia in the round with it, but I saw a really nice little sideways knit garter stitch cardigan.  I might switch out the pattern for the new one.  Might not.

That nice little pattern would also be a great pattern for some rich deep forest green Mission Falls Wool in the stash. And there is a rich musty lichen green Cascade 220 that might work wonderfully too.

I'm looking for a pattern for some Harrisville Wool and Flax.  I have 9 skeins of a lovely rust.  It is a chunky yarn and though they don't recommend knitting in large gauges for large women, I figure its my party and I can if I want too.  It won't be anything with cables, or a lot of texture.  Something very very simple, I think.  Stockinette perhaps.  Just a nice heavy jacket type cardy might be just the thing.

If thinking of these heavy warm things isn't a sign that my surroundings are chilly, I don't know what is.  My thoughts are on winter and I sure wish it would stop.


  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I turned the furnace back up last weekend. How disappointing after that lovely weather we had a bit ago. S word is a possiblity in the forecast for this weekend. GD

Brendaknits said...

I have a lovely little jacket pattern that I intend to make - sometime soon -. It uses chunky yarn is plain knitting except for a seed stitch panel down the front. I will send you the pattern name and number shortly. - too lazy to look it up at the moment.:) It might suit.