Friday 2 October 2009

Linings

After a search for a good sturdy jersey fabric to line the wee sweater, I realized that no such beast was to be found in the lone store I had at hand, so I am knitting the linings. It will probably be faster to do this anyway. (I have spent some time contemplating if the sewn lining idea was just a way to weasel out on what seemed like the horror of knitted linings.)

Using the skills I learned preparing for the gansey class, I am knitting the lining on the sweater band perpendicular to the ribbed band.


A corrugated rib band stays pretty stable. It's not a severe pull in sort of ribbing, but the perpendicular knitting is helping to stabilise what pull-in there is. It is keeping square, square. I'm using the stitch where the ribbing was picked up along the sweater front and 1 stitch in from the cast off edge of the rib to knit the facing to, and it seems to be working OK.

It's producing a nice little ridge that fits right in with the way the sewn bind off looks. Had I known I would be knitting the lining, I probably would have left the stitches live, and just joined and cast off at the same time, but c'est la vie.

Since it has only taken a moment or so to knit the lining, I have to assume that I will finish this whole project up tonight. I might slip over to my niece's house and meet the wee fella some time this weekend.

And then, with the entire weekend ahead of me, I have no idea what I am going to do. Might have to start something new. Or change something. Or maybe finish something. No I don't like the sound of that last one. (Well, maybe)

It feels like the fullness of fall is upon us. I feel like there ought to be significant accomplishment. Let's see how far I get.



No comments: