Monday 5 October 2009

Lofty Yarn, Lofty Goals

In the spring I went with a friend to Custom Woolen Mills near Carstairs, Alberta. One of the little goodness-es I brought home was the sort of chunky unspun yarn as was used in Cowichan sweaters lo those many years ago.

The plan was not for a full sweater. I think even in the coldest of winters, I would melt away wearing a full sweater of this heavy of a weight of wool. the plan, on seeing the yarn, was for a thick, warm, simply made vest.

And here it is. Vest under construction.

I know that we big girls are not supposed to wear big yarns. I know that fashion dictates a lot of heavy cabling in big yarn these days but sometimes you just have to go with what will work for you, to fit the situations of your life. Sometimes you just have to follow your inner rebel and wing it. So I am.

After my efforts in patternless sweaters, first with the Ganseys then with the enormously pleasing Fair Isle baby sweater, I took out my copy of Knitting From the Top Down. Away I went. Vest here I come.

This is going to be a plain zipper front vest, fit fairly close to minimize the look of the bulky yarn.

I am very happy with the fit of the top part, right down to the underarms. I am pleased with the short row shaping I did across the fronts. The first thing I have to do this morning is try it on and see if the work I did yesterday is right, and if the fit continues to be what I'm looking for.

I have another big skein of yarn to knit and two more days off. I would like it to be done before I go back to work on Wednesday. This might be a lofty goal, but lofty goal, lofty yarn. If you are going to wing it, aim high.

No comments: