Tuesday 18 August 2009

So I was sitting with my knitting friends

and I was watching one of the ladies work on her Edmonton Lace KAL shawl. Her almost complete shawl is a beauty. She has only 3 rows left and I am absolutely filled with admiration for her work. I says to myself, "self there is something different about her shawl." As usual I came away with a vague notion and a chill that ran cold up my spine. I rushed home, forgot every little chilly thought and got out my shawl.


I was determined to get a good start on it myself. I sat down to knit up clue 6.


Nothing was working. Not the stitch count, not the way the pattern really ought to flow. It was flowing in the middle of nowhere for crying out loud.

So I read over the instructions for clue 6. I knit and reknit, in case I made errors along the way. Nope that part looked good, but the pattern didn't fit. I hemmed and I hawed, I struggled and knit again. Just as I was ready to give up for the afternoon, I recalled that chilly feeling, and how different the other shawl looked. I went back to read clue 5 again. Found it. Two small words.

Repeat twice.

I thought I'd be ready and waiting. I really wanted to be all caught up after starting so late in the game. I wasn't. There is a comfort in that in a way. I have maintained a perfect record of being behind for each and every clue.

But I have you now. Clue #5s two repeats are complete and I really am ready for #6. River Valley Shawl, you are not going to escape me just yet.

Do take a look at the pictures in both the proto type and the final version of the River Valley Shawl. It is such a lovely thing. Its delicate, light and airy and has been absolute pleasure to knit. It was a marvelous mystery experience, knitting the shawl and walking through our lovely river valley, just following along without knowing what was around the next bend.

ThatLoganChick is going to have The River Valley shawl up for sale on Ravelry soon.

1 comment:

Sigrun said...

The "River Valley Shawl" is just beautiful. I'm looking forward to yours. I just hate it when something isn't quite right, and i go over and over it. And when I find it it's just a simple oversight. I'd like to leave a comment on your next post, but there is no comment flag. The comment: I'm glad your spinning wheel is here. I want to see you operate it, so I can see if that activity would interest me.