Friday 8 May 2009

Come Friday

Here it is Friday again. I remember my mom saying time goes faster when you get older and she was right. The days seem to slip by and I have no idea what I did to make it slip past me so.

The sheep fleece is cooking. Well not really, but it is out in its tub of water, sitting, waiting, getting clean. I hope. It was definitely cleaner than the first fleece I worked with. It still had its sheepy form, so I could easily pick away the hind end bits, and the drooping in the mud bits at the side. Fleece two is being done with the cold wash method I found on Ravelry.

There was knitting! Remember this shawl, Shawl that Jazz ?I really like the pattern, and am absolutely enamoured of the construction, but the more I looked at it, the less I like the colour of the yarn. It was just too much brown for me. I have found a home for the yarn, and am trying out another yarn.

You know how it is. In a yarn store there are endless corners for sweet little yarns. I was restocking a yarn called Tove, a nice little two ply yarn, when I realized how much this yarn felt like the Kauni.

The maker says the yarn is perfect for felting and that is what it was brought to the shop for, but I think it has many many more possibiities. I love the colours (note the teal - again with the teal) and I love the crunchy feel of it. That crunchy might make it one of those yarns some people find scratchy, but I am not finding it that way at all. And if I wash it properly and let it bloom on blocking, its going to be lovely.

It is also incredibly inexpensive. 4.99 a ball for 160 metres is an amazing price. Its the kind of price that is just meant to keep us knitting no matter what is going on around us.

There might not be any colour changes going on in this yarn and the shawl is going to be quite plain, but the fun of it is going to be how many balls of yarn will I use, and just how little is this shawl going to cost.

No comments: