Monday 11 May 2009

Finishing

I finished something, I finished something!

Sometimes it feels like I knit and knit and knit, but never really get finished anything. Perhaps if I stuck to one project at a time, single items would finish faster, but that would take all the fun out of it. What would I do when I was mad at a project, when there was an error and I needed to walk away, when there was a need for really mindless knitting. The multiple project way seems to be my way, but it does on occasion drag out the finishing.

Right now I have a comfortable number on my needles. One complicated shawl, one simple shawl, 2 or 3 pairs of socks, and a sweater and 2 scarves. I think.

I did some finishing yesterday, so I am thrilled to finally have something to take photos of. The sample sock for the store, in Cascade Fixation. The sample is knit to pattern, but really, seriously, the 2.75 mm needles the pattern asks for are too small. Its still a great sock, but the best part of the fabric, the wonderful cushy cotton sole disappears into the tight knitting. When I do more of these for myself, I will be doing them on larger needles, and I will be aiming for cushy feet. And yes, there will be more knitting with this yarn.

Then I finished a wee project from Saturday at the store. We decided to knit over our lunch time, the project was to be a design from one of our staff, called Susan's Skinny Scarf, but we could choose any yarn in the store. I chose a Phildar yarn called Recif and I am really pleased. There is just enough of the purple winding its way through it to keep it interesting, and the yarn is slinky and slippy and cool, all the best things in a skinny scarf. It doesn't look like a lot, but it really is an interesting little thing. The skinny scarf is really more of a jewellery item, than a scarf, but it gave me a chance to try a yarn I probably wouldn't otherwise use. And really, its a very nice yarn.

I worked on a little skinny scarf of my own on Sunday. This one is out of a single skein of Seduce, a truly lovely Berocco yarn. Its a very nice soft grape colour, and look at the sheen the yarn gives this slick little scarf. I'm probably working it tighter than the designer means the scarf to be worked, but I like the fabric better this way. Seduce makes a fabric that just needs to be seen to be believed. I'm going to let the yarn speak and tell me what it needs, and I think I'll still end up with a very nice little scarf.

I also worked on the amorphous blob that is my simple shawl. Easy quick mindless knitting. I love it. Toss in a wee bit of knitting on my glorious socks from Stained Skeins yarn, and that is the sum total of my knitting on Sunday.

I'd have done more, but there was eating and visiting, and plenty of silly as all my boys showed up during the day to wish me happy Mother's Day. Two of them stayed and cooked me dinner.

The weather was lovely, the company was fine, and I could not have asked for a nicer day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really must dust under that computer monitor. I really must.

Needles