Wednesday 5 November 2008

If it looks like a fish...

If you take some of thisand add a little of thisshould you get a fish?I don't think so.

Its not a fish, I tell you. Its not a fish.It does bear a passing resemblance to the M-113 creature. Or a lamprey, which is in my mind fish-like...

OK, Needles, feet back on the ground. You are weirding people out. Back to knitting.

I am trying to make a pair of thrummed mittens for my mother, who walks a couple of blocks to get to work. Since she is in Saskatchewan and winter is here, I think she is going to like them. It's a mildy larger than normal mitten, with thrums, which are little bits of fibre twisted and worked into them every so often. The fibre felts over time with the heat of your hands, and forms a very warm and comfy inside. The M-113 creature like maw is what the fibre filled inside looks like from the top of the mitten. Neat isn't it.

The unfortunate fishiness of them comes from the stubbiness of the hand. I've got to go back to the part where I started decreasing and work another inch and a half before I start decreasing. Then I am going to do a standard sock like toe decrease, 4 stitches on every alternate round. I am a little concerned about the thumb opening. I'll have to put the stitches onto a different kind of stitch holder to check for fit. Who knows, I may be going back to the thumb.

I keep telling myself that I don't mind ripping. I do and I don't. I hate losing the working time on a project when you have to go back and rip. It hurts when you are on rip three, with knit 4 coming up. Yet, I don't mind ripping because I know that there are sound reasons to rip back and before I accept that ripping back is the right decision, I've usually learned something about my knitting or myself.

The lesson here is that a mitten should look a lot more like a sock toe than you think it should, even when it is thrummed, and that the fearless inner knitter who rushes to see a finished product, ought to listen to the sensible inner knitter when she is all but screaming that this mitten is too short.

No comments: