Friday 4 July 2008

The Lacy Knitting of Mary Schiffmann

I cast on for the top from More Big Girl Knits. Twice. I had a little mobeius action going on, and once that happens, there is nothing you can do but rip. Second time around appears to be going better, but I find myself wondering if it is as easy to make a mobeius when a mobeius is part of your plan.


One of the books I picked up at the River City Yarns sale earlier this week was the Lacy Knitting of Mary Schiffmann. This book published in 1998, is now into it's third printing. Its a small book. Sort of unassuming. Inside is a wealth of knowledge, knitting and tales of this lovely woman's life. The book intersects neatly with some of my other treasures, Arctic Lace by Donna Druchnas and the much older Woman's Day Book of American Needlework by Rose Wilder Lane.


There are some lovely patterns included in this book, doilies, scarves, and many many edging patterns but the best part of the book is the peek into Mary's story that we are privy too. The chatty format makes it feel like sitting down to tea, and having Mary teach us a few things while we chat. The book is warm and cozy and lovely. There is a reason why it is still in print after all these years.


If, like me, you are becoming, or already are a knitting bookophile, do consider this one. If you are like me, and fascinated by knitted lace, do consider this book. If you are like me, interested in the history of modern knitting, do consider this book.


In my books, this is top notch, a definite treble. If you are looking for a little lace theory, and a little lace history and a little refined patterning, this is the one.


If lace is part of your knitting journey, stop here and rest a while.

1 comment:

Knitting Alchemist said...

Oh, I'm so with ya on the mobius thing...