Monday 7 July 2008

SS arrived home on the weekend, much improved. she is putting some weight on her leg, and the cast comes off soon. she is feeling great, and is getting around just fine. Now if we can just keep her off horses for a while longer.

This means my camera is home. I don't have it yet since SS still has to get her photos onto her computer, but we should be back in regular photo production shortly. The camera I have been using has a dead battery, and the Canons are great, but use their own battery technology. It will be a couple hours for the recharge.


So we are photo-less today and darn it, I had some really great knitting to show off.

I'm working on the Summer Chevron Tee from Big Girl Knits, and the talk on
Ravelry is not that encouraging. It seems a lot of people were confused by the gauge, and according to the designer, the gauge is related and created by the drape. I began mine with different yarn and need a larger size than what they have in the book, so I didn't worry about gauge too much. I am working off percentages, and so far so fair. I have about 6 more rows to go to get to the under arm section, and the side work. Once I get those 6 rows done, I am going to have a good look at how it is so far. Is there enough depth, and are the arms OK, or are they getting too wide.


When you play with dimensions like I am, you have to look at how the pattern is keeping its shape. If it would have been easy, they would have worked it up one more step when they were designing it. I am very aware that I might need more depth, and that by the time I reach the depth I want in the under arm, the sleeve might be miles too wide. Right from the get go, I knew that this is the one place I would have to watch carefully and be prepared to play with it. If the sleeves are too wide at the right depth, I'll have to go back and increase at the arm sides less often, so that the cap sleeves dip to follow the shape of my arm.

I am definitely going to have to make the tee longer. After reading the ravelry info on it, I think I know how I am going to work it, but, I'm not going to talk too much about that till I am working on that section. Which should be tonight. Whatever else this pattern is, it just zips along.

It was a lot of knitting getting to that point, so I thought I'd pick up a book and read. I picked up my brand new Zimmerman books. Which of course means I was knitting. I'm starting with Knitting workshop, so of course instead of giving my hands a break, I decided to follow along with the skill progression. It might very well be impossible to read thios book and not knit. I played some with colour work, but I admit if you want to start feeling like a beginner again, just try doing colour work with two hands. My right hand is not used to being that much in charge and I have only the faintest notion of how to hang onto the yarn, throw it, and then knit without dropping everything to the floor.

I think it is time I learned to knit Western. Be prepared for the mess.

No comments: