Friday 6 June 2008

Next knitting

I seem to be able to avoid current knitting without any effort at all. I am now doing pretty much anything but this project, which needs finishing before summer arrives...What? summer is here? Oh. Well. I guess it is like hemmed golf pants and peanut butter cookies.(Son2, yes. Today on the pants. Next week on the cookies) It will happen.

In the meantime, and while apparently avoiding all unfinished knitting projects, I'm playing with these bits and pieces from River City Yarns.

The first yarn is Cloud Cotton Eco from Estelle Yarns. In the world of good yarns to work with, we should all be so good. Soft and smooth, and eco friendly. AND it really holds its stitch definition. Its going to be great for cabling.The second is a soft chocolate Cotton Licious yarn from Sweater Kits. Gotta love that crimpy texture.

The third is a Rowan Classic Yarn called Cotton Jeans. All these bits and pieces are working together to produce this.which is, with any luck at all, a cast cover for SS. The picture is only half as good as the combination of colours and textures is in real life. The smooth Cloud Cotton is surely the grand master here, with the CottonLicious and the Cotton Jeans being the supporting players. There are very small differences in the size of the yarns, with the last 2 yarns being just a little finer than Cloud Cotton, but in a project like this, with its few rows of colour changing, these small variances don't seem to matter.

As usual, I'm knitting on the fly. No measuring here. It fits with the general modus operandi of my life, 'failure is the option right before grand success' (or something like that) .

I'm taking a big chance here, knitting without measuring but if it doesn't fit, I'll have to get creative. My hope is that the fit will be right, with minimal lacing or buttons or other such closure. If not I have the option of adding a cable panel to run up the back leg. I walked into this clearly, almost planning for the adventure of exciting fit techniques.

Or at least that is what I am going to tell myself if this turns into a really nice dishcloth.

1 comment:

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

I love the mixed cottons.