Tuesday 10 June 2008

It's Monday Right?

Somewhere along the way, I've lost a day. With Mr. Needles being gone last weekend, and less than usual attention to schedules, it happens. I simply forgot to post yesterday. I slept in.

Anyone who knows me, knows I never sleep in. 4 to 5 a.m. is my normal waking time, but the last few days, I sleep and sleep and sleep some more, and what is even stranger, did you know that people stay up after 9 p.m.? Yeah, I know, its hard to believe, but there it is. Life happens after that late hour. I once even saw that mystical thing called midnight (I have not seen midnight without the presence of company for at least 20 years).

I'm not entirely sure that I like this new schedule of mine. I miss my long mornings. This morning, back to my old habits. I was wide awake at 3 a.m.

While I might be awake, I always hesitate to do any serious thinking at 3 a.m. 3 a.m. is a great time to mess up lace, to screw up lovely rows of garter stitch with sudden insertions of stockinette, and to decide to start the heel on toe up socks when the foot measure 5 inches but the giftee wears a men's size 12 shoe.

3 a.m. is really only good for one thing. Swatching. I have talked about a couple of shawls that will be next, and they will be. Someday. Next. Right now, I'm thinking I want to do sweaters, a fine thing for someone who has sweaters lined up 4 deep. This swatch is a yarn called FilTweed, a wool/ acrylic/viscose yarn.


It has a really good feel as it is being worked and the fibre is going to be just right for the the person this sweater is going to belong to. The wool and acrylic blend means extra easy care at a very, very reasonable price. Plus look at all the colours in this nice tweedy fibre. I am contemplating making this sweater up with a saddle shoulder, with knit and purl patterns and small cabling.


The other thing 3 a.m. is good for is thinking about the other sweater that is urgent. The yarn for that sweater is Cascade Heather in Loden. It may not be look green here but it is.


and suddenly I realize that as blue-ish as the past few big projects have been, the next part of my life is going to be green. Very, very green.

You know, this might be the prefect time for the bright fuchsia sock yarn.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I will try again. blogger is being a real pain.....
It seems we work at opposite ends of the day. I often can be found stitching at 1 am, preferring the night time to work. Next time I go to bed I shall remember that you will soon be getting up!

Sandra said...

I get up at 5:15am during the week - against my will and better jusgement, but I need time alone in the morning to read the paper, drink my coffee and get lunches and such things organized.
At 7, I wake the boys and leave for work. I'm in by 7:30am, and out by 4pm, with Friday afternoons off in the summer.
Weekends, I sleep late, just to catch up.
And I usually catch the news before I go to bed...