Thursday 5 June 2008

Homework.

As a child I was one of those kids who was able to complete most of their work in class. I rarely had to spend a lot of time studying, since things have the irritating habit of staying in my head if I read it once. This and a cocky attitude contributed to B averages over the years in maths and sciences. The only thing I wish I could do was to be able to add and subtract quickly in my head, and I wish I knew the 7 times table (I was sick that week, and it has plagued me forever - start it with 7 and I go blank).

When I really enjoyed a subject, I could fly. History, and literature were heaven for me. They made my heart sing, and my imagination soar.

Strings make my heart soar too. It doesn't matter what it is, or how long a thing takes, or if there are a hundred thousand stitches, I simply fly when I play with strings. The opportunity to work at a yarn store is heady.

Even if there is yarn store homework.

Yes, you heard it here. I have homework to do. I was asked to knit up a small project as a store sample. There is the possibility of more samples if this one turns out well. Even if the projects never get beyond the extremely simple, I am delighted at this turn of events. I get to play with really great yarn, for free. In this instance, I'm playing with some great needles too - some great ADDI Turbo circulars in a 13 US. I feel a little like a kid who hit his first homer and can't run because he is jumping up and down too much. Sheer, unadulteread joy.

Doing homework. Who da thunk it?


If you want to see what I have been up to come down to the store. It will be done, and back to the store next week, though I'm not sure if it is for immediate display, or if its going to be part of a bigger fall display. When it goes on display, I'll get some pictures.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I had the same cocky attitude in high school. There's no way I spent as much time on homework as kids do today!

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

Awesome! I remember coming into my LYS one day and seeing several employees knitting garter stitch scarves for samples. I wanted to be paid to knit!

I have the same problem with my 12s sometimes, but it's sunk in over time. I had a friend who was identified as gifted in talented early on. They pulled him out of class to teach him algebra. In high school he took advanced math with me. He was good at the rest of the work, but I had to help him with fractions and multiplication occassionally.

Karen said...

oh wow...wish I could get homework like that, well I wish I could get a job like that. Lucky you!