Wednesday 11 June 2008

Sometimes when you avoid one thing

another thing gets done.

After speeding along on the capelet, the original hem needs to be unpicked and reworked. As usual, big challenge equals avoidance. The upside is that even though the capelet is standing still the Picovoli cardigan is coming along fine.

I moved past my fears of the cardigan hanging off my daughter-in-laws shoulders like a potato sack by having someone else of a similar build, try it on. I've completed the waist shaping so all I have to do along the bottom edge is work it to length, and then just one more sleeve.

I confess, it was the problem of what to do with the sleeves that has kept me from working on this sweater for so long. My goal was to extend the cap sleeve of the original pattern so it ended just past the curve of her shoulder. I did not want a straight sleeve, but wanted something with a gentle curve following the shape of the wearers arm. Grumperina did not do this on her T top pattern, but did discuss how it could possibly be done. My solution was to work a couple sets of short rows separated by two full rows of knitting. It gave the sleeve top a most delightful curve. On the wearer, it sits just so and keeps the spirit of this figure hugging design.

Right now, I'm working on duplicating sleeve 1 and it is just sailing along. I hope to be very near completion before the end of the day.

With a camping weekend coming up fast, I am working on stocking up my van with knitting supplies. I could stock it soley with whatever my current project is, but when you go 300 miles from the nearest yarn store, and a full hour from the nearest store of any kind, you have to be prepared for all sorts of emergencies. I mean what happens if I really don't feel like working on the capelet? What if I'm tired of the socks I have to complete?

See this?

This yarn is like the emergency bandage of this knitting trip. I have 2 skeins of 100% Silk in this dreamy navy blue. There are other colours of this lovely silk in the store, but these were the last 2 of this gorgeous colour. It ought to be just right for a nice skinny lacy scarf.

2 comments:

Knitting Alchemist said...

I LOVE that navy silk! Better not bring it to knitting group; it might mysteriously find its way to my bag...

Gina said...

Camping trip already? It seems ike yesterday you just got back from last years trip! Love the yarn!