Wednesday 4 June 2008

Thinking Slowly

Besides changing jobs earlier this year, there has been one other significant change in my life - the amount of coffee I consume. Without an office, coffee is becoming a drink to have after dinner, a beverage for a relaxing afternoon. May I just say, why did someone not tell me these things about coffee? Coffee has never been about relaxing, coffee has always been about preparing to do something. Coffee has been active rather than passive.


Now that I have told you this earth shaking revelation, I can tell you that I wonder if I am starting to connect to the 'Slo' movement. I first heard of this movement when I heard about Slo Food. (Not that I have done any detailed research about it, but I did hear some gossip. It was pithy gossip) In my opinion, without research, Slo food must be about foods that take some time to prepare, basic, healthy, whole foods, and about connecting to the food we eat.


These days, all my thinking seems to be about connecting more personally, more directly with all the corners of my life. In every aspect of life, I have a strong urge, desire, want, need to just go a little more slowly. I seem to be wanting to slow down enough to smell the air I pass through (except for the stinky parts, like last nights whole skunk by my bedroom window thing. That part, I wanted to get over fast) .


In knitting, I had this idea for the black socks, that I was going to make a single long tube with a toe at one end, and a toe at the other end. Then the sock could be steeked at the middle, bound off and I would have a pair of effortless blanks into which I would insert my much beloved peasant heel. It felt revolutionary to me. I was discussing it with one of the ladies at the store, who said oh heaven yes, people used to do that all the time when the only socks they had were handmade socks. It was a technique often used by those with a sock knitting machine.



So there you have it, my new revolutionary idea is not new, not remotely revolutionary, and yet, it was the first time I heard it. See how this 'slow thinking' thing goes? I think of something that everyone else heard about 100 years ago, but because it is new to me, I'm sure it is revolutionary.


So I have to wonder, if slow thinking means I am a hundred years behind, should I worry about unconsciously adopting the slow food movement? Maybe I'd better read a little bit about what that is, in case I discover that slo food is about using up the bits at the back of the refrigerator before they become the bits at the back of the refrigerator.


Or maybe its all a sign that I really need a big cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Sally Comes Unraveled said...

I hadn't heard of the "Slo Food" movement, but I'm noticing more and more vegetable gardens and organic recipes on people's blogs.

Personally, I hate coffee, and I grew up in a Caffeine household. I actually started sneaking some black tea here and there for caffeine. However, tea seems to be a great slo drink. It has much less caffeine than coffee. You can go herbal for no caffeine. (I know, it's technically "tissane" (sp?))