Tuesday 18 March 2008

Thinking Knitting Through

The last of my yarn orgy yarn has arrived. I'm deeply impressed with it. I picked up some coned yarn from WEBS, a 2/8 wool in a wonderfully dusky rich blue, tweeded with tiny flecks of pink and white. Its a light weight yarn, 2/8 weight is roughly a fingering weight yarn. This is one of very few yarns that I didn't have a plan for before I bought it. Seeing it is giving me some ideas though.
The other in this last gasp of yarn is some 10/2 bamboo in a deep rich black. If you are an animal fibre free knitter, and you'd like something for lace, do consider this yarn. I haven't worked with it yet, but oh my it feels really nice when I'm playing with it.

I've been working on Picovoli from Grumperina for my daughter in law. With the weekends sleep knitting, I'm not all that far along. I was making changes and each step along the way, I find myself thinking a lot about the final product. I didn't think she wanted a rolling collar, so it is being made with a seed stitch border. This is turning out really really well. The plain stockinette for the main body with the garter edge is a wonderful way to show off the nice things about Rowan Bamboo Tape.

Except that now that I am near the end of the raglan shaping, near the arms, I'm trying to figure out, how do I get the seed stitch to the arm edges. I have been thinking about knitting short sleeves, but I'm not certain. I do really like the cap sleeves the pattern has. They balance so perfectly with the shaping. If I were a knitter, say, like one who has knit a sweater before, and was more confident about knowing the way parts will work together, then I think I'd just move blindly forth. I'll probably do that in the end, but for now, I'm just going to let it simmer for a day or so while I think it through.

This afternoon, there is a Sit'n'Knit I'd like to get to. I'm down to one pair of socks on needles, and they are getting to the point where I have to start paying attention so I can get the gusseted heel in the right place. They won't do for visiting knitting. Starting the second grey sock isn't very interesting, so I'm starting socks in some of the yarn my sister choose when she was visiting. A new one, I think, Fabel from Garn Studio, and a really great Arequippa fingering weight. Which to choose, which to choose.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

what to choose, indeed! Both are beautiful!
I always have at least 3 socks on the go, all at different stages so that I have mindless knitting as well as pay attention knitting.