Wednesday 19 March 2008

North Side Sit 'n Knit

I. Had. A. Blast.

I was instantly recognized as a knitter by the others, which gave me the biggest thrill. It must have had something to do with the big bag of stuff I was carrying! One of the ladies brought along her spindles and fibre and gave us a spinning lesson. She was making singles from a soft rose coloured silk blend. I can see the difference that superior tools make. Her spindles were top whorl spindles, and I think I'd feel less of a klutz with one of these. I may try to convert mine one of these days. It was nice to actually watch someone prepare the fibre and draft and then spin rather than just reading a book.

People brought projects on the needles and off the needles, and it was just so nice to see. We knit and talked...well, we talked about a lot and sipped our coffee or other beverage, and we had a blast. I'm hoping to continue with something like this in my life for the rest of my days. It was so very nice to be surrounded by women who were just as nuts as I was about yarny things and it was comforting to know that if there is a problem I can't think through, I can bring it there, and someone will help figure it out.

I worked on a sock for my sister, GD. Look at this. It has not repeated itself yet, and I'm half way down the foot. This is really nice yarn. Its not so fine you want to scratch your eyeballs out, but it is fine enough that its going to make a great shoe sock. Originally sister wondered if these would make a good set of work socks or would they be too bright, too mixed or too strong. Nope. The colours are strong but not in your face powerful. They are perfectly balanced and there is nothing that does not please the eye. I think you will be very very pleased.

I'm going to get the Arequippa wound so they can be started shortly. I saw some of this being worked up yesterday and was impressed. It is everything sock yarn should be, though some of the ladies are wondering how sturdy the socks will be considering the alpaca content. Several suggested working woolly nylon into the wear points such as the heels. I'll have to go check that out but others felt that it was going to be just fine. Worked up, the colouring was wonderfully subtle and soft. I'm really looking forward to using this yarn.

And here is just a quick trip to the other project I've been working on. This is the Bamboo Tape and there is just not enough good to be said about this yarn. Lovely to see, lovely to feel, wonderful to work with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sock yarn is great...wishing I hadn't just put myself on a stash diet! I love knitting nights, I think my next one is tomorrow.

Jill